AEGIS 3 is an educational GIS (Geographic Information System) that is organised as an interactive worksheet with maps, data tables, text and pictures with notes. There are a number of sample worksheets included in the AEGIS 3 package:
· Fieldwork examples: local, urban and rural fieldwork
· EU data and worksheets on Italy, France and UK
· World development data and worksheets
· India census 2000
· Environment and landscape exercise with pictures and notes on the Studland peninsula
You can import large-scale Ordnance Survey digital maps of England Wales and Scotland into an AEGIS 3 worksheet and add your own fieldwork data to them. It comes with interactive documentation, which you can use on screen or print out to help you use the program.
AEGIS 3 is particularly appropriate for using on interactive whiteboards:
- Use the interactive worksheets with maps to work through questions with pupils within the class to demonstrate their understanding.
- Import your own maps and use them for class discussions. Perhaps get pupils to mark up a local map with local landmarks or their routes to school.
- Use the world map and set of demographic, social and economic data to quickly compare different countries. Using the map on an whiteboard enables the whole class to clearly see all of the information.