The WEEE Directive is here! The WEEE Directive became law in the UK on 2nd January 2007 with an implementation date of 1st July 2007.
From the 1st July 2007 RM has been fully compliant with the requirements of the WEEE Directive.
This article details the requirement of the Directive, RM's obligations and what this new law means to our customers. Explanations of the acronyms used in this article, can be found in the 'FAQ' section at the end of this article.
What is the WEEE Directive?
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive) aims to minimise the impact of electrical and electronic goods on the environment, by increasing re-use and recycling and reducing the amount of WEEE going to landfill. It seeks to achieve this by making producers responsible for the disposal of waste electrical equipment. If you would like to understand the legislation further, click here.
The Legislation and RM's obligation
RM are responsible for:
- The disposal of all EEE RM are the producer of, made available for sale on or after 13th August 2005
- The disposal of all WEEE being replaced by new EEE sold by us, on a like for like basis, where we are the Producer of the new EEE and the where the WEEE was made available for sale to the customer, before the 13th August 2005.
What does this mean for our customers?
Since implementation of the WEEE Legislation on 1st July 2007, RM has been offering the following disposal services:
1. New WEEE - This service is for the disposal of any RM produced EEE purchased on or after 13th August 2005. This service can we requested at anytime.
2. Historic WEEE - This service is for the disposal of any EEE purchased before 13th August 2005, which is being replaced by new EEE produced by RM. The historic WEEE must perform the same function as the new EEE that is being purchased after 1st July 2007. You will need your RM number for the new EEE to confirm that you qualify for this service. This service must be requested within 30 days of the new EEE shipment.
3. Chargeable - This service is for the collection and disposal of any EEE you have, which RM are not obligated to dispose of. For just £20 per item we will organise the collection and disposal of your equipment. This service can puchased at your convenience.
A chargeable service for the collection of New WEEE and Historic WEEE is now available. For just £4 per item we will organise the collection of New or Historic WEEE and safely deliver the equipment to our disposal partner.
You can choose to arrange logistics yourself, if you do decided to do this, further instructions will displayed once you have completed your disposal request.
A chargeable service for Software Data Wiping is now available. The use of a software data erasure tool permanently and securely removes data but preserves the integrity of the Hard Disk allowing reuse of hardware. Our disposal partner, BTR, use the most secure software data wiping product, Blancco. This service costs just £4.50 per Hard Disk and is recommended for equipment previously used for administration purposes.
If you do not choose this service, your Hard Disk will be physical destroyed to ensure permanent eradication of the data.
When requesting a disposal service you will have the opportunity to select either of these additional services. By selecting either of the services, you authorise for an order to be loaded and invoiced.
Next steps - make a request online
An automated online system for requesting and monitoring disposal services is available. This system [My Equipment Disposals] is accessed via your My Account area. Here, you can request New or Historic WEEE disposals, as well as monitor progress of your disposal requests. New WEEE disposal will be prefixed with 'DN', and Historic WEEE 'DH'.
If you have purchased the Chargeable disposal service, as soon as the order is invoiced, the disposal request will appear in the My Equipment Disposal list prefixed with 'DP'.
Your can use the links below to access the automated online system or purchase the Chargeable service.