Finally, the doors to Olympia open, the crowds of lucky delegates who've pre-registered rush through as the queues at the registration desk lengthen into the early morning rain. But it's worth it!
We'll be blogging throughout the day, finding out what the buzz is from delegates, journalists and friends at the show as the day pans out (any thoughts on the school league tables published today?). In the mean time... why not listen to the live BETT radio broadcast brought to you by our friends at Anderton Tiger (from 11 am today).
- The brand new RM Education solution showcase opened to the crowds and is a hive of activity, mega-busy as always, with the very latest from across the RM Group, highlights including RM Slate, LEGO Education, ISIS furniture... well, seeing is believing so visit us at stands C60, D60, E60 or come back here later and we'll upload some photos from the day.
- In Olympia 2, the RM Learning Emporium officially opened as we welcomed delegates to a wide range of seminars, learning space exhibition, live radio station... watch the video (scroll down to Learning Emporium section).
- The Learning Spaces competition is launched. Open to all UK schools and colleges, first prize is £20,000 worth of education technology to create your ideal learning space. Find out more.
- Listen to a live BETT radio broadcast from the show on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Featuring music, text-in competitions, and phone-ins as Anderton Tiger report live on the exhibition. Listen to the show from 11am till 5pm each day. Russell Prue, resident DJ, will be writing a guest blog for us later this evening (you'll find it here).
- Camila Batmanghelidjh, Keynote speaker at our BETT VIP lunch, moved the delegates with her speech, reflecting on her incredible work with vulnerable children.
- Camila also announced the winner of the 'Design Your Own Avatar!' competition (see below).
- Stop press: The RM Group wins two BETT awards: ICT Service & Support, and Secondary FE & Skills Digital Content categories. Right, it's midnight, I'm logging off now, and will blog more on this tomorrow...
Winner of the 'Design Your Own Avatar!' competition
We were delighted to have a very special guest with us at BETT today – Robbie Beale of St Julian's Primary School in Bath who won our 'Design Your Own Avatar' competition. Camila Batmanghelidjh, founder and director of Kids Company, presented him with his prize – an iPod Touch 64GB, along with a cardboard cut out of his fantastic design.
The 'Design your own Avatar' competition ran during November and December 2010 for students using the RM Learning Platform and SWGfL Merlin. We received more than 2,500 entries from students all over the UK, from both primary and secondary schools with a huge array of imaginative characters – from space men to monsters, robots to pixies, and much more.
There was also a tie-breaker question for the student to add what their avatar likes most about the platform. Robbie's winning entry was:
Pretty Polly likes to chatter away with her friends while I hook on to the gripping news feeds! We also think the way you can use the learning platform away from sharks and storms is a swashbuckling idea!