How is Minecraft suitable for education?
Minecraft: Education Edition has a series of features designed to make Minecraft valuable for the classroom.
This is the companion app for Minecraft: Education Edition that shows:
- A map view of the Minecraft world
- A list of all the students in the world
- The ability for a teacher to teleport students
- A chat window to communicate with students and grant resources
Classroom Mode is provided for educators who may want to observe student activity without being in the game.
Easy Classroom Collaboration
One of the greatest benefits of Minecraft: Education Edition is the ability for students to collaborate together to build projects and solve problems. An entire classroom of up to 30 students can play in a world together with no separate server setup required. Or, students can work together in pairs or groups simply by joining their classmates’ world.
Educators may create an NPC (Non-Player Character) to act as a guide for students in the game, giving instruction, providing more information, and also allowing educators to insert an active web link to additional references.
Camera and Portfolio
This gives the ability to collect evidence of learning in the game and being able to demonstrate student progression. The camera and portfolio features allow students to take screenshots of their work and document the development of their projects.
Creators can use chalkboards to:
- Communicate learning goals
- Provide additional information and give explicit instructions within the game
Chalkboards come in three different sizes – Slate (1x1), Poster (2x1), and Board (2x3).
Simple, Secure Sign-in
Individual student and teacher log-ins with Office 365 Education accounts ensure data privacy & security while playing Minecraft: Education Edition.
For educators or students new to Minecraft, a tutorial world is available that will guide players on in-game navigation, crafting, and placing and breaking blocks.
Version 1.0 Features
In January 2017, Minecraft: Education Edition was updated to facilitate game-based learning for educators and administrators, including:
- Global Pause to take a quick break
- Accessibility features like text to speech for in-game chat
- Easier settings announcement experience
- 256-word height for greater building capabilities
- Complete gameplay from your first night to The End dimension
- Igloos and Polar Bears in snowy biomes